Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hawaii


Survival Tip #20: If you didn't before, start using sunscreen. You're base tan will fade.

Summer has found Washington. While much of the country experienced a heat wave, Washington kept herself temperate. Lots of people have said this was a terrible summer, but I feel like I remember last summer being not as nice as this one. Maybe I've just adjusted to the climate, or lowered my expectations. Or maybe it's because I'm pregnant and running hotter than before. Regardless, it has been beautiful here.

You may remember me mentioning in previous tips that the weather being bad here is a perfectly good reason to travel, but that is not the only good reason. Louisa graduated from High School this June, and to celebrate, the girls in the family (minus Shawna :( ) took a trip to Hawaii to celebrate. Originally this trip was scheduled for September, and I would not be able to go, but the date got changed to August, and I was able to go! I had never been to Hawaii before, and with Baby on the way this seemed like potentially my last chance for a while to be able to go. So I got permission from my doctor, copies of my chart notes and refills of my prescriptions and was off!










We went to Oahu and stayed at the Ko Olina Marriot resort. It was fabulous and beautiful! At first when we landed at the Honolulu airport I was a bit disappointed; I thought it looked unfortunately similar to Southern California. But then we began to drive away and things began to look tropical. It was a week that was both busy and restful. We went to Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, and the Dole Pineapple Plantation, and spent LOTS of time tanning, floating, resting and reading at the resort's pools and lagoon. It was heavenly. I took advantage of my lack of stretch marks and wore a bikini. I read "The Help"and loved it! And it was amazing to see all the birds and wildlife in Hawaii. I can't even describe how cool the trip was, and I can't wait to tell my daughter someday about how she went to Hawaii before she was born :) AND I can't wait to come here with her on the outside, and Vander sweating in the humidity beside us!

I still need to get pictures from Emily, but here are a few I have.
at the beach restaurant where we ordered lots of frozen lemonades :)



The Disney Aulani, about a month before it opened. A short walk from our hotel.
At Pearl Harbor


Sunset
Pipeline, off season

mini pineapple at the plantation

Sunset on our last night.

Goodbye Lagoon, I'll miss you!


No comments: