Saturday, November 20, 2010

Percy Jackson: Not Just For Teen Boys!

Survival Tip #5: When it's not nice outside, read a good book.

So I found a book series that I can not get enough of. The Percy Jackson series is written by Rick Riordan and is definitely geared towards a younger audience, but it is an excellent easy read. I was first introduced to the series by Vander. V loves to read books that his students read because it freaks the kids out when he is able to drop info about it into their discussions. This was especially true with the Twilight series. I keep thinking that I won't like the books he's reading because their juvenile, but then he proves me wrong.

The Percy Jackson & The Olympians series imagines that Greek mythology is real, and that the gods are creating children with mortals; this is how heroes (like Hercules) are born. In Riordan's world, heroes are often dyslexic with ADHD because their brains are wired to read ancient Greek and fight monsters. By the time heroes reach their preteens they start to encounter monsters who try to kill them, so they start going to Camp Half-Blood to learn how to survive as heroes. Sounds like a perfect read for preteen boys right? What I LOVED about it is Riordan's writing style! He writes from the point-of-view of Percy, a new hero who is possibly one of the most powerful hero. Percy's internal voice is sarcastic and witty. When Riordan encounters a transition in the story, he does so in a way that makes you smile or laugh inside. Here is a quote from the first line of the fifth chapter in the second book "The Sea of Monsters":

     Ever come home and found your room messed up? Like someone helpful (hi, Mom) has tried to "clean" it, and suddenly you can't find anything? And even if nothing is missing, you get that creepy feeling like somebody's been looking through your private stuff and dusting everything with furniture polish? That's kind of the way I felt seeing Camp Half-Blood again.


I love that little interjection of "hi, Mom". The books are so enjoyable to read they are perfect for those of you that like to read before bed. I recently read "Say You're One of Them" by Uwen Akpan. Fabulous book, but it's not a great feeling to go to be crying every night for two weeks. These books on the other hand, were addictive and I felt good when I put the books down to sleep.

So, if you're looking for a fun easy read, pick up "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan. Then tell me you did and we'll talk all about it. :)



Disclaimer: I have not seen the movie based on the book, but I heard it is nothing like the book and pretty awful. So if you've seen the movie, read the book anyways.

1 comment:

C V said...

I love that series!!! You should also check out Fablehaven. Also a good series. ^_^